Flow State AKA the Zone mental state in which a person performing some tasks is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus full involvement, and enjoyment in the process of the activity, in essence, flow is characterized by the complete absorption in what you do and a resulting transformation in your senses of time. As a person who has found herself in a flow state on several occasions as a painter and as a writer it is a wonderful feeling. The question is how can you achieve such a state. I have twelve great ideas to get you started;
- Set a writing block. Block out time on your calendar to write. Keep the appointment with yourself as a sacred time.
- Create accountability by telling others you are going to write. Tell a friend that you will give $50 to charity if you don’t keep your writing time.
- Clear distractions by unplugging your router and turning off your phone.
- Start with a free writing session to get the writing flowing and you ready to write.
- Regular exercise will help you settle down when it’s time to write the nervous energy will have worked its way out and you will be settled and ready to write.
- Plan ahead to get your notes and research done before you sit down at the computer so you are ready to write when it’s writing time. Use the time when you are doing housework or driving to think about a plot or structure.
- Try the Pomodoro method write for fifteen minutes and take a five-minute break do this 4 times and then increase the time you work by five minutes.
- Get the soundtrack you need to help you write listening to music can help you get in the mood to write listening to the same music every time you write can train your brain to recognize that it’s time to write.
- Make sure you give yourself enough time to write and get in the zone. It could be frustrating if you just reach the zone and it’s time to stop.
- Give yourself deadlines to finish your work. This will make it necessary to work diligently on your projects.
- Create a habit. Working on the same day at the same time is another way to train your brain to expect this is work time.
- Virginia Woolf said it best when she said you need a room of one’s own. If you don’t have space for a whole room, try and get a corner of your own. You do need a space that is yours to work in.
Being in the zone is a wonderful place to be, but it is not easy to get there. It might take some practice so if at first you don’t succeed try again and each time will get easier. That’s a guarantee from a frequent zone pro.
LAST CHANCE FOR THESE GREAT PICKS
GREAT CUDDLE UP BOOKS
NEW TITLES JUST FOR YOU
I’m looking for a street team to help promote my newest book High Heels and Handcuffs this is a novella about a woman strapped with caring for her father in a memory care center. In order to pay for it she becomes an accomplished jewel thief when she meets the detective assigned to catch her. Her life becomes complicated. If you might be interested in reading this story and providing an honest Amazon review on the day that the book goes live you will receive the ebook for free.
If you’re interested just let me know in the comments. I really appreciate all you guys that read my blog every week and make comments and tell me you like what I’m doing.
Thanks for all your help.
If you think this is fun, sign up for my newsletter.
Keep this fun going sign up for the blog.